Saturday, December 19, 2015

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year - a Christmasy tag

Deborah O'Carroll from The Road of a Writer is spreading Christmas cheer by doling out this Christmasy Tag. Thanks, Deb! This is a nice excuse to chat about seasonal wonderfulness.


Rules
Post the picture on your blog. (Neither Deb nor I have any clue what picture this means.)
Answer the questions.
Tag up to 12 bloggers.
Make up 10 questions for other bloggers.

What is your favourite Christmas treat?
Gingersnaps and mandarin oranges and chocolate everything and nuts and eggnog and peppermint and (gasp) have you ever tried a chai white hot chocolate? You must.


Are there any special traditions that your family has to celebrate Christmas?
Yes.


How do you normally celebrate Christmas?
This is very much like the above question, which is why I'm properly answering here. On Christmas morning, my mom makes apple scones. We put a candle in each one and sing happy birthday to Jesus (a tradition we've been doing since I was a wee child). Then we take our long, leisurely time unwrapping gifts, all of which is videotaped for posterity. On Boxing Day, we often spend the afternoon building Lego, since all six of us receive sets for Christmas. (Yes, even my parents!)


Do you enjoy getting presents for your friends and family? Do you buy your gifts or go the homemade route?
Of course I do! Some people are harder to shop for than others, but ultimately I love picking out thoughtful gifts. I usually go the store-bought route, because I don't consider my crafting skills to be . . . er, skilled enough to produce good presents.


Is it cold where you live? Have you ever had a white Christmas?



This sort of question I find endlessly amusing. Because yes, it is cold where I live (though it's been unseasonably mild up until this week, during which eight inches of snow fell on us). I've never not had a white Christmas!


What’s on your Christmas list this year?
BOOKS. As always. Also boring, practical, un-Christmasy things like black socks and a back-up hard drive for my laptop. Music and movies are always on the list, too.


What’s your favourite Christmas song?
O Come, O Come, Emmanuel is probably my top favorite carol. A modern song that I fell in love with is Hillsong's We Have a Savior. Michael W. Smith's It's a Wonderful Christmas is a beautiful orchestral album, and I also love Chris Tomlin's Glory in the Highest album. (And I'll admit that the Oakridge Boys' Christmas Carol gets me singing every year.)


What is your favourite Christmas memory?
I have too many to recount! As Deborah said in her post, they all kind of blend together. I suppose all my favorite memories revolve around family.


What does your Christmas tree look like?

My parents give my siblings and me a new ornament every year. As you can see, the collection has grown. It kind of looks like a Christmas toy shop exploded on our tree.







What are you reading in December? (Anything festive?)
Currently A.D. 30 by Ted Dekker. It's not exactly festive, but . . . it does occur during Jesus' life on Earth. Does that count?


Are you an organised little elf or are you still shopping/preparing on Christmas Eve?
I am a semi-organized little elf who let the mild weather trick her into thinking Christmas was a long way off. Then the snow came, and the calendar shrieked at me in panic. (Okay, it hasn't been all that bad. I just have a couple odds and ends to finish up.)


How early do you start to get into the Christmas spirit?
December 1st. No earlier. Usually no later. The tree goes up in the first week of December, and out comes the holiday music. I myself didn't really 'feel' Christmasy for the first week or two. But now I feel like a child again, absolutely giddy with anticipation.


Do you make any Christmas crafts? Decorations? Send physical Christmas cards?
Depends on the year. As I said earlier, my crafting skills are not quite prepared for much gift-creating. Though if I took the time (and money to purchase supplies), I think I'd have fun with it.



What’s the menu for Christmas Day?!
Apple scones for breakfast, which I already mentioned. Lunch is late and consists of all manner of snacks. Supper this year will be at my grandma's. Who knows what scrumptiousness she'll conjure?


What makes it FEEL like Christmas for you? (Weather, specific tradition, food, smell, person, etc.?)
I definitely had a hard time getting into the Christmas mood before the snow hit, shallow as that sounds. Decorating the tree, singing carols at church, driving around town and seeing all the beautiful lights . . . I don't know, it's a combination of a lot of things. Mostly it's the cozy feeling of family, nestled in the warm living room on Christmas Day, laughing and enjoying each other while pristine snow blankets the world outside.


Do you have relatives coming? Excited? Nervous?
For Christmas itself, no, nobody's coming. After Christmas, yes. The family continues to expand as cousins grow up and get married, so lassoing everyone into the same spot for Christmas is no longer simple. I'm excited about getting time off to spend with family.


What famous Christmas character do you most identify with? (Scrooge, Elf, Tiny Tim, the Grinch, Santa, etc.)
Um . . . none of them?

If you were to start a new Christmas tradition, what would it be?
Goodness. Way to put me on the spot here. I love the traditions my family currently has, and can't think of anything more to add!

What Christmas movies do you like to watch this time of year or what’s your favorite?
Unlike some people, there's no set movie that comes out every single year. It could be Rise of the Guardians, a Christmas-related VeggieTales movie, Miracle on 34th Street, or any new film we find under the tree.


Look, Jack Frost left his signature on my front window last year!



What’s your favorite Christmasy book or book with a favorite Christmasy part?
I love, love, LOVE Max Lucado's The Crippled Lamb. It's a touching story about an outcast lamb who ends up getting to keep baby Jesus' warm.


I tag . . .
Cassia @ Dimensions of My Universe
Sarah @ Ink and Paper Tall Ship
Emily @ Ink, Inc.
Jack @ However Improbable
Amy @ Little Moon Elephant
And whoever wants to add a little Christmas fun to their blog! Go on. You know you want to snag it.


Questions to use (because I haven't the time to create new ones today):
  • What is your favourite Christmas treat?
  • Are there any special traditions that your family has to celebrate Christmas?
  • How do you normally celebrate Christmas?
  • Do you enjoy getting presents for your friends and family? Do you buy your gifts or go the homemade route?
  • Is it cold where you live? Have you ever had a white Christmas?
  • What’s on your Christmas list this year?
  • What’s your favourite Christmas song?
  • What is your favourite Christmas memory?
  • What does your Christmas Tree look like?
  • What are you reading in December? (Anything festive?)
  • Are you an organised little elf or are you still shopping/preparing on Christmas Eve?
  • How early do you start to get into the Christmas spirit?
  • Do you make any Christmas crafts? Decorations? Send physical Christmas cards?
  • What’s the menu for Christmas Day?!
  • What makes it FEEL like Christmas for you? (Weather, specific tradition, food, smell, person, etc.?)
  • Do you have relatives coming? Excited? Nervous?
  • What famous Christmas character do you most identify with? (Scrooge, Elf, Tiny Tim, the Grinch, Santa, etc.)
  • If you were to start a new Christmas tradition, what would it be?
  • What Christmas movies do you like to watch this time of year or what’s your favorite?
  • What’s your favorite Christmasy book or book with a favorite Christmasy part?

  • 19 comments :

    1. I like that your family remembers to sing happy birthday. That's a good tradition to have!
      You ALL build legos on boxing day? That's awesome!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's a good way to start the day off remembering WHY we have Christmas. :)
        We sure do! My parents started getting into it a couple years ago. It's such fun. Have a merry Christmas, Blue!!

        Delete
    2. Oh my goodness, I'M SO JEALOUS! You get a white Christmas EVERY year?? I love snow to an unhealthy level, but I don't live in the ideal location for one :( I haven't seen snow in almost five years!

      Your favorite carol is O Come, O Come Emmanuel, too? Gosh, you don't even know how similar we are! Braintwins :)

      Ooooh, your tree is so beautimous!! We do the exact same thing with the ornaments. Every year we receive a new "special ornament." (My ornament this year was a BB-8 ornament to commemorate the new Star Wars film.)

      Gah, I'm just so excited for Christmas!!! *does the Snoopy dance* It's such a wonderful time of the year, and your post makes me even more excited!!! Have a wonderful Christmas, Tracey!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yup. Every year. Some are whiter than others, but I can't remember ever NOT having snow! Almost five years? How sad! I should ship some of our snow to you. XD

        Ha, really? That's awesome. I love that carol so much. It has such depth. :)

        Thank you! Another twins moment--I didn't know anyone else did that with the ornaments. (Nice one this year, eh? I got a snowman with my name on its hat. ^_^)

        I'm so glad it helped boost your Christmas spirit! You have a wonderful Christmas too, Mary!!

        Delete
    3. I adore this tag! So very perfectly Christmas-y. And it's funny, because I was planning on doing this tag this week too. XD Always braintwins. I love it!

      This was way too much fun getting an insight on your Christmas. I think it's fascinating how every single family celebrates a little differently. I adore how you all sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. So precious, and the perfect way to start the day. We also take a very long time opening gifts. Practically half the day we're so pokey about it, but that makes it fun. And of course video cameras have to be present.
      That is just the best that you ALL get Lego and build things together. You guys are too much fun! ^_^

      (It's embarrassing how long I watched that gif. Just...his adorable smirky face. I can't.)

      Books on our Christmas lists forever! *fistpump*

      Your tree is gorgeous!! Dat book ornament. <3333 And is that a Thomas Kinkade painting on the angel one? TOO COOL. We looove Thomas Kinkade stuff. What an awesome ornament.

      I hope you have the absolute BEST Christmas, dear buddy. <33333

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ooh, looking forward to reading it! This is just too funny...how do we end up thinking on the same track so often? XD

        That's why these tags are such fun--we get a peek into each other's Christmas traditions. LOL, it takes us half the day to unwrap presents too! But it's twice as special when you draw it out like that.
        We crank up the music (usually something new received for Christmas) and all gather around the kitchen table. Lego everywhere. XD

        (Not admitting anything. Nope. Not going to admit I maybe did the same. Nuh-uh.)

        I think I'll have to ask for a bookSHELF next year. I'm running out of room! Bookworm problems...

        Why thanks! That book ornament is one of my favorites too. Hey, look at you being the art expert. XD That IS Thomas Kinkade. I received a set of three angels, one at a time, each with a different winter scene painted onto their skirts. :)

        Same to you, Christine! May your Christmas be the wonderfulest yet! <3333

        Delete
    4. Yup always a white Christmas :D
      I love your tree, it's lovely.
      Timmies!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Always and always. :D

        Thank you! I love decorating it every year.

        That was my chai white hot chocolate. Glorious stuff. I didn't know until recently that you could request that at Timmies.

        Merry Christmas, Skye!!

        Delete
    5. It's really cool seeing how a bunch of bloggers celebrate Christmas. It's neat to hear about yours! It too takes me a bit to get into the spirit. It's a combination of things. I love Miracle on 34th Street. I need to watch Rise of the Guardians again. I thought it was going to be lame,but it was a surprisingly good movie.

      storitorigrace.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. 'Tis indeed fun. :) Confession: I've only watched Miracle on 34th Street once, but I remember enjoying it. I should see it again. Ahhh, Rise of the Guardians is so GOOD! I watched it with my siblings and my grandma recently, and loved it all over again. Pitch is perfectly creepy, and I adore all the guardians. ^_^

        Thanks for commenting! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

        Delete
    6. Thanks for the tag! :D I loved having a little insight into Christmas at the Dyck household. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. My pleasure. :D (I've been meaning to comment on your post...) Glad you enjoyed it!

        Delete
    7. Yay! I loved reading these! :D
      I love your candle/singing happy birthday tradition! ^_^
      Wow, Boxing Day? o.o I hear-tell that's a British/Canadian thing, the day after Christmas...?
      Your Cap gif in reply to whether you've ever had a white Christmas is GOLD! XD Canadians, yes. ;)
      BOOKS (& practical). :D
      I love your tree! (Also is the "Adventure Awaits" and little arrow on your pics new or have I just been REALLY behind on reading your posts? BECAUSE ASDFJSLDK I ADORE IT!) A new ornament a year sounds awesome!
      This was so fun!

      MERRY CHRISTMAS! ^_^ <3

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Deb! :D

        I never really thought about it until you mentioned it, but yeah, I guess Boxing Day is a British/Canadian thing. I've heard it started in Britain, as a day when hired servants would receive boxed presents after Christmas. (I used to think it meant the day people boxed up their Christmas decorations... Maybe it's that too. XD Not in my house, but other places?) Anyway, yes, it is the 26th. :)

        Ahaha, thanks! When I found that gif, I just had to use it. XD

        Thanks! (Yep, that little watermark is pretty new. I made it...a month ago, I think? ASKDFJSADLJF, I'M SO GLAD YOU LOVE IT.) It's so fun putting up the ornaments, because each one holds a memory!

        Thanks for the tag; I enjoyed doing it! Merry (belated) Christmas to you too!! <3

        Delete
    8. We get a new ornament most years! Mine was a TARDIS (which was awesome!)

      These are so much fun to read, I love hearing about everyone else's Christmas Traditions. That Lego one is AWESOME. I love Legos. What are you all going to build this year? Will you post pictures?
      = thumbs up. Though I'm not really missing our snow here. Too much last year, and the year before. Though it makes it feel a little strange.

      Thanks for sharing, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ha, nice! I've never watched Dr. Who, but even so, I can appreciate the wonderful nerdiness of a TARDIS ornament. ^_^

        Well, we haven't started building Lego today just yet, but when we do, I'll be sure to snap some pics to share with y'all. :)

        It's been a few years since we've had TOO much snow, I think. But I can imagine it's nice to have a break from an overload... Less brushing off of cars and shoveling of driveways, etc. ;)

        Merry (late) Christmas to you too, Rebekah!!

        Delete
    9. What a lovely post! Thanks for tagging me. I think I have missed the window at this point, but thank you all the same XD

      Your snow picture isn't showing up, though. I'LL NEVER KNOW WHAT CHRISTMAS IN CANADA IS LIKE! <3

      Ugh, but I was the least organised this year that I've been! We don't open presents till big long lunch is over, dogs are walked and washing up is done, but I was still cutting it fine as I wrapped presents at 5.30pm!!! Oops ...

      One of my favourite carols is O Come Immanuel, too! It has such a beautiful tune. But I really do love all the carols. There are so many I count as favourites. (I have to say, I also love Mariah Carey's All I Want ... !)

      Thanks again for tagging me, Tracey, and happy new year!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're most welcome, Emily. :) No problem for missing the boat! I've done that before with tags. >.>

        LOL! Do you mean the one about the white Christmas? Because that was actually a gif of Captain America laughing. Here, maybe try Googling this link: http://33.media.tumblr.com/fe35c1b4c4d83699eb0ced5270c3959c/tumblr_inline_ngc6g1JKEc1rbyvbg.gif But you're right, I should show you all a picture of what my Canadian Christmas looks like!

        Haha, glad you got them all wrapped in time. I felt rather unorganized this year too. Maybe I was just busier than normal. *shrugs*

        You too? It's a gorgeous carol. Ooh, yes, that's a good Christmas song too, and I've heard some great covers of it.

        Happy New Year to you too! I hope it's simply splendid. :D

        Delete