Saturday, April 11, 2015

777 Writing Challenge



The ever-delightful Deborah O’Carroll has tagged me for the 777 Writing Challenge. (Shout out to you, Deb, for giving me my first tag!) I’m supposed to go to the seventh page of my current work-in-progress, seven lines down, and then post the following seven lines. I’m interpreting ‘lines’ as sentences.

My WIP happens to be Book One of that secret project hinted at on my Writings page, but this tag was too fun to pass up, so I’ll divulge a snippet anyway.

Ever since I saw this tag floating around the blogosphere, I wondered what sort of epic scrap of story I might land on.

And what I landed on was not at all a good representation of my novel. Nothing’s wrong with the snippet at all; it’s just somewhat ambiguous, taken out of its context the way it is. It features my female protagonist, Aileen, and one of her closest friends. That friendship plays only a small part in the grand scheme of things—like I said, not the best representation of the story.

Couldn’t I have landed on something a little more enticing? Ah, well, enticing or not, here it is:

 

Brenna tossed her thick, blonde hair over her shoulder. “Anyway. Do continue.”

“He just asked me the names of my parents and both sets of grandparents.”

“That’s it?”

“Well, then he said that we seemed to care a lot about human trafficking.” Aileen rested her head on the back of the seat. “No mention of dragons though.” It was true—he’d never talked about the shapes that had appeared.

 

(Yes, that was nine sentences, not seven. It worked better that way.)

There’s a twist on the rules that allows one to go the seventh chapter, seven pages in, seven lines down, etc. So I tried that. The result is more interesting, but a tad spoilery. Kind of. Well, okay, it involves things that will probably be revealed on the back cover one day, so I guess I’m just being paranoid. I can cheat and post two snippets, right?

A short introduction: main characters Josiah and Aileen have just been called hatchlings by their trainer, who happens to be a dragon. Josiah and Aileen also happen to be dragons at this point, but that involves the spoilery thing I mentioned so . . . that’s all I’ll say for now.

 

Josiah stood and swung his tail gingerly. It didn’t feel broken, just bruised.

“That’s not what you are, though.” Dauntless inhaled deeply. “I only used that term to motivate you to prove me wrong. It’s like calling you infants, understand? Now it looks as if I’ll have to find a new term, one that’s actually lower than the age your behavior suggests!”

 

There you have it! I did break a couple rules along the way, but this way you get two glimpses into my secret project. Together they provide a slightly better feel for the book than the first one did on its own.

Now would be the time I tag seven more bloggers, but let’s make it a free-for-all this time, shall we? To all you wanderers: feel free to grab this tag and run with it! And if you do, be sure to let me know in the comments. I’d love to see what sort of snippets you might land on.

13 comments :

  1. Your first tag, hurray! Tags are so fun.

    I was sooo excited when this popped up on my dashboard because I've been dying to get a peek into your WIP, and I was not disappointed! *I* found it super enticing. I mean, DRAGONS. And what is this person asking about the names of all these parents? o.o See? Now I'm already curious.

    And ooooh my goodness, I loved the other snippet so much as well! First of all, calling them hatchlings is BRILLIANT. I love it! BUT THAT LAST SENTENCE. XDDD Bwahahaha! Dauntless sounds like such a character!

    It was so fun getting a little peek into your novel. Thank you so much for sharing!

    I'm hoping to do this challenge tomorrow. It seems so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They certainly are! I hope to do more in the future (and also have a better list on hand of tag-doing bloggers so that I can properly pass them on).

    Aww! Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it. And yes--DRAGONS. Goodness me, I think my secret-keeping skills--as far as books and writing projects are concerned--are somewhat lacking, because I'm ever so tempted to satisfy your curiosity somewhat. But I shall resist. *firm nod*

    Haha, Dauntless is quite the character indeed. I've always loved training sequences in fantasy books, partly because the trainers can be outrageous. So some of that shows up in his personality. XD

    Awesome! I'm looking forward to it.... o.o Wait, I just realized that means a glimpse of Burning Thorns! Now I really can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dragons, I love dragons so I am very intrigued. I will do this tag some time this week. It's cool to get a glimpse into other writer's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Skye! I adore dragons too. :) And I'm looking forward to getting a peek at your work as well. Let me guess--the expansion of "Bleeding Roses?"

      Delete
    2. :) How did you guess? here is the link. http://skyehoffert.blogspot.ca/2015/04/777-writing-challenge.html

      Delete
  4. Cool excerpts! I love dragons! I need to do this challenge. I was tagged a while back and will get to it soon lol.

    Stori Tori's Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! LOL, so do I! ^_^
      Ooh, I'd love to see what kind of excerpt(s) you post. I'll keep an eye out for that. ;)

      Delete
  5. UHH... I don't know what to say... I am just trying to comment in all the posts! So... GO SIS!
    -Your Littlest Sissy, Kit Kat : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could say how much you love the book... Just kidding! XD Thanks for commenting! <3

      Delete
  6. Well, since I'm special and I've already read the ENTIRE BOOK, these excerpts weren't really new to me. :P Okay, I'll admit, the second one didn't sound familiar, but still...
    Looking forward to being able to see your books in store shelves! :D
    -Josiah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't remember the second one? Really? First day of training... failure and humiliation... No, not ringing a bell? XD
      Aww, thank you!!!

      Delete
  7. I'm even interested about the rest of the book and you read the first draft to me! (Although, that was years ago...)
    -CeCe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! I'm glad it was interesting. (And yikes, yes--so many years ago! The book has changed an awful lot since then.)

      Delete