Saturday, June 20, 2015

Father

Tomorrow, as you all know, is Father's Day! Dads, and all father figures in general, hold the power to make such an impression on their children. I am ever grateful for my amazing father, who has made an imprint of love and strength on my heart. I wrote this poem last year for his birthday, and thought it fitting for this holiday.






Father                   (July 4, 2014)


See the fire burning bright
The blaze that warms cold hands
It’s a wall of flames at night
A wolf-repelling brand


See the bedrock ‘neath the soil
Bearing a castle great
It’s a compacted vein of strength
That none can penetrate


See the sails of the mighty ship
That catch the southern breeze
And direct the noble sailors
Across calm or stormy seas


See the rushing woodland stream
Bringing life to what grows near
Its waters reflect the lights above
The stars feel closer here


All these things are in one man
The fire, rock, and sails
Rivers run through my father’s heart
So let me unwind the tale


He’s a warm, protecting fire
That keeps the beasts at bay
He’s a strong support beneath us
Steadfast, come what may


He’s the sail of a family vessel
Guiding us over the waves
He’s a life-giving waterway
Reflecting the One who saves


But how can one possess all these?
How can a mortal man
Be fire, rock, and sail, and flood?
I’ll tell you how he can


The fire was sparked by holy flint
God forged the vein of stone
The Word directs his willing sails
The waters flow from Christ alone


If not for that, he’d be as lost
As any other soul
But thank the Lord for saving grace
That bestowed on him this role:


Father – my Daddy, now and always
He belongs to me
He’s head of a precious household
To our hearts, he holds the key


Lord, thank You for my father
Who protects, upholds, and leads
He’s Your warrior, through and through
With You, he does great deeds

11 comments :

  1. You write beautiful poetry, I'm sure your Dad appreciated this.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracey, that was unspeakably beautiful and moving. I don't know what else to say. But thank you for that.
    -Elphie
    P.S. Tell your dad happy Father's Day for me, please. XD My sisters and I are planning something really awesome for ours today -- I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I will pass that on for sure. :D What are you planning?

      Delete
  3. Oh, Tracey, this was just...breathtaking. Your words always strike a chord and put me in such awe. Thank you for sharing, this was simply beautiful!

    I do hope your father had a lovely Father's Day! He certainly raised a beautiful, godly young lady. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're a sweetheart. Thank you for reading, m'dear! And thank you for your very kind words. ^_^

      (My dad heard that last part of your comment, and he said, "Mwahaha...she doesn't know me." XD)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful poem, Tracey! I especially loved the fourth stanza - it made me think of the times I've gone camping with my own dad. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sarah! Sounds like some great memories. :D

      Delete
  5. Aaaah, that's beautiful! ^_^ I love it, thanks for sharing, Tracey! :)

    (Also I tagged you on my blog: https://deborahocarroll.wordpress.com/2015/06/25/sisterhood-award/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah, thank you, Celti! <3

      And thanks for the tag, too! It looks like such fun. Hopefully I can get to that sometime in the next week or two. :)

      Delete